Where does Mrs. Santa Claus Finland live? Read the story!
Mrs. Santa Claus lives in the Northern Finland. Near the Northernmost mainland area of Reindeer herding.
There is an old red house built in 1949 among the fields. The house is built of a hundred years old and massive timber stocks with red wood staves on the outer wall. It has three rooms with an old-fashioned design and an exciting attick for the Elves!
Outside the house there is a separate sauna building where the elves bathe every Saturday at eight a clock. There is no heating system in the sauna cottage. Guess how cold it is for instance at -20C! It takes for a while to get it warm for bathing.
This house of Mrs. Santa Claus doesn’t look like the old brown cottage in Rovaniemi which was built of timber stocks, picked from Kemijoki River, for Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt and President Roosevelt in 1950´s! The year Mrs. Santa Claus was born.
A dream came true
Mrs. Santa Claus has now a house of her own. Dreams can come true!
There is sometimes very crowded in Santa Claus Village and Santa Park in Rovaniemi Lapland. Finland is still a country of Christmas and Santa, reindeer, snow, Polar Lights and now also Mrs. Santa Claus´s country.
Why this residence of Mrs. Santa Claus is so special?
Here are some reasons:
- It is situated on the biggest island of the Bothnian Gulf
- it is situated on an island of stories and fairy tales https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hailuoto
- the island is situated in the lap of the Bothnian Gulf outside a big city and an airport.
- you can find a unique and quiet atmosphere in the Nature and among the official National sceneries of Finland
- you make a free trip on a ferry, pay a fee in a bus or a car
- you may take (if you dare) an exciting trip by car on an ice road from February to March https://youtu.be/C1pl0y8CBJM
Lichen even on the courtyard
What more, there is plenty of reindeer lichen on the island, so much that it is exported to several countries of the world. They even make colored lichen walls! That is so fabulous, that it is nearly unbelievable! Even exported to several countries as they told us on Polarmoss.
There is still a lot of lichen left on the island and it is growing also on the ground of the Mrs. Santa Claus´s house, but it takes at least five years lichen to grow back.
- What do you say to that, my Reindeer? Oh, you want lichen from the Fell of Ear, right? Syöte National Park? Romevaara? Ylläs?
- You cannot have always get what you want but for Christmas you can wish for anything!
- I just wish for a plenty of lichen!
Woodshed for birch firewood
A grey building on the other side of the residence there is a woodshed, it is made of thin timber stocks, too. But the stocks are rather narrow with holes between them, since the wind should blow through the stocks and dry the firewood.
- You mean the rain rains from downside-up! Ha, ha, ha!
- Yes, it does, believe or not!
The elves like to play in the woodshed, they climb and hide there even if it is dangerous and wood pieces might come down and hit them. Sometimes they find birch nests between the stocks, but the birds have flown already to the South for a year.
The sauna building from the 1940`s gives visitors a good steam that rises from sauna stove or heat of sauna. It is situated by the big trees and is a nice red cottage with an exciting history of the hiding elves from the 1940´s.
The wood for the heating needs to get dried before the elves can use it for the heating. Sometimes it is a bit difficult to light the fire in sauna oven, but the elves use the birchbark to light it up. That is the white surface from the birch.
The elves think that warming-up sauna is kind of philosophical, they carry first the firewood inside and then put the wood properly into the oven! The other oven warms up the sauna stones and the other warms up the water. Then they watch the fire!
Then the elves fetch cold water from a water plug with buckets. The path from the house to sauna is sometime very slippery because of the snow and ice!
- Can you be careful on slippery roads?
How to get to the house of Mrs. Santa Claus?
Take a flight to Oulu and from there a bus, then a ferry and the last one, a bus to the house in the middle of the main village. You have to ask for the place, costs and time for a private visit! Send your e-mail inquiries to email@example.com
Or follow our live channel coming to YouTube!
Meet Mrs Santa Claus on the first of December 2018!
the Gulf of Bothnia